With every mobile flagship bragging about dual cameras, artificial intelligence (AI), 4K recording, and other features, it’s not easy for smartphone developers to latch onto a specific feature and claim ownership or superiority. Yet, Chinese consumer electronics company Oppo has established a name for itself as the Selfie Expert in the smartphone market. Their latest phone, the Oppo R15, continues the company’s legacy of pushing selfie cameras to its limits!
While only a rumor just a week ago, the specs and official images are now out in the open. Oppo went with a trending design and flagship features, but truly let the front camera speak for itself. Underneath a 6.28-inch device with a notch, glass back, and metal frame, the phone has a 20MP front camera with an impressive f/2.0 aperture, capable of taking selfies with a bokeh, or aesthetic blur, effect. The phone’s face recognition technology is capable of a speedy 0.8s Face Unlock and a new AI assistant adapts the device to your needs and patterns.
The list of specs continues with:
- 6.28″ OLED with 1,080 x 2,280px resolution
- Helio P60 processor with an octa-core CPU
- 16MP Sony IMX519 sensor with f/1.7 lens + 5MP f/2.2 lens (dual camera)
- Portrait mode
- 6GB of RAM + 128GB storage
- 3,450 mAh battery and VOOC charging support
- three colors: Hot Red, Snow White, and Star Purple
The second model, Oppo R15 Dream Mirror Edition, boasts the same screen size, notch, 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage, AI software, and portrait effects. The differences are:
- a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 chipset with octa-core Kryo processor
- a better dual camera with 16MP f/1.7 sensor AND 20MP f/1.7 lens
- a new 8MP face portrait mode
- a smaller 3,400 mAh battery with VOOC charging
- two colors: Dream Red and Ceramic Black
They debut in China on April 1st. The Oppo R15 is going to sell for CNY 2,999 ($474), while the special Dream Mirror edition will go for CNY 3,299 ($521).