The Apple M1 event brought a lot of goodies for those looking to buy a new laptop or desktop computer. What do you think about a laptop up to 3X faster than Windows laptops?
Apple says they once again redefined the laptop market.
The company introduced a new MacMini, a MacBook Pro and the absolute highlight, the MacBook Air with M1, the company’s new ARM-based Apple Silicon processor.
It packs a lot of punch for such a small package!
The new MacBook Air 2020 with a 13-inch Retina Display starts at $999 for the M1 model with a 7-Core GPU and 256 GB of storage.
The M1 MacBook Air can be upgraded to an 8-core CPU and can have up to 16 GB of RAM and up to 2 TB of SSD storage.
“M1 is by far the most powerful chip we’ve ever created, and combined with Big Sur, delivers mind-blowing performance, extraordinary battery life, and access to more software and apps than ever before,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, about the new Macs and the breakthrough of the M1 chip.
The new MacBook Air CPU is up to 3.5x faster than the previous generation and the GPU can go up to 5X faster.
Why the Windows comparison?
Apple hinted, subtly or not, about the MacBook Air leaving Windows laptops in the dust.
First of all, previous MacBooks had Intel chipsets just like Windows laptops, so the 3X performance boost is a direct wink at that.
Apple states its supremacy over other laptops directly in the press release.
“And in MacBook Air, M1 is faster than the chips in 98 percent of PC laptops sold in the past year.”
It’s a bold statement but the numbers do sound good – and they’re backed up by a great battery life.
The new MacBook air promises up to 15 hours of wireless web browsing and up to 18 hours of video playback.
Apple also provided a comparison between the M1-powered new MacBook Air and the previous generation.
Here’s what you should expect:
- Export a project for the web with iMovie up to 3x faster.
- Integrate 3D effects into video in Final Cut Pro up to 5x faster.
- For the first time, play back and edit multiple streams of full-quality, 4K ProRes video in Final Cut Pro without dropping a frame.
- Export photos from Lightroom up to twice as fast.
- Use ML-based features like Smart Conform in Final Cut Pro to intelligently frame a clip up to 4.3x faster.
- Watch more movies and TV shows with up to 18 hours of battery life, the longest ever on MacBook Air.
- Extend FaceTime and other video calls for up to twice as long on a single charge.
All the new Apple products, the new MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini with M1 are already available on Apple.com and will start shipping next week.