[adrotate group = “15”]
Summer Game Fest started in 2020 in response to the sudden cancellation of major gaming conventions like E3 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Summer Game Fest Kickoff Live 2021 brought loads of exciting announcements from around the industry in ways only host Geoff Keighley could. There were game announcements, exclusive interviews with developer Hideo Kojima and actor Jeff Goldblum, among others, and performances from Japanese Breakfast, Weezer, and the Sonic Symphony Orchestra. Even with E3 back this year, it is clear that Summer Game Fest is here to stay and brings an exciting new platform for creators to draw attention to new releases and information.
Without further ado, here’s everything announced at Summer Game Fest Kickoff Live!
For the finale, Summer Game Fest went big with new info on the long awaited Elden Ring. Since its initial trailer back at E3 2019, little to no information has been released. Now, not only did fans receive a closer look at the gameplay, the game was also given a January 21, 2021 release date!
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is a high-fantasy take on a looter-shooter. While inspired by the Borderlands-series (particularly the cell-shaded aesthetics), this game will have its own mechanics, spell-casting, and character customization. Not much else was mentioned, but the game’s voice cast includes star celebrities like Ashly Burch, Andy Samberg, Wanda Sykes, and Will Arnett.
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands arrives early 2022.
Metal Slug Tactics
Metal Slug Tactics is a tactical strategy take on the ‘90s classic. Drawing from the original source material both in aesthetics, design, weapons, etc., players will be able to experience the Metal Slug universe in a whole new way.
Death Stranding: Director’s Cut
Keighley held an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, trying to get in the mind of the enigmatic game developer. Kojima mentioned a little how he is currently reevaluating his own creative endeavors and seeking to tie entertainment with both contemporary and future social issues.
Although Kojima would not say much about upcoming projects, he did cue a mysterious trailer for a new scene based in Death Stranding universe. There really was not much to take off the trailer – as per usual with the Death Stranding trailers – but we do now know Death Stranding: Director’s Cut will be making its way to PlayStation… eventually. The full reveal is said to be weeks away.
Jurassic World: Evolution 2
Jurassic World: Evolution 2 builds on the first game, combining the world of roaming dinosaurs with park-simulator management. Evolution 2 brings more dinosaurs, new features, and game modes to the table.
Jurassic World: Evolution 2 is coming to Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, and PC in 2021.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War x Warzone
Call of Duty Season 4 comes out June 17th with new weapons, new maps for different game modes, operators, expanded zombies content. All this will be free content updates.
Additionally World Series of Warzone will take place June 22nd and 23rd, highlighting the competitive Call of Duty scene.
Among Us presented their roadmap, which includes a new hide and seek mode; new roles including sheriff and scientist; and new colors, skins, and cosmetic items. Additionally, the team will add achievements, a brand new map, and larger rooms for more players. The time-exclusive Geoff Keighley Mask is also available!
House of Ashes
From the Until Dawn creators comes a new tale of escaping evil as American and Iraqi soldiers stuck in a cursed temple. The trailer gives off similar vibes to Until Dawn where individual choices matter in saving as many people as possible from a mysterious lurking presence.
House of Ashes is available October 22, 2021.
Planet of Lana
Planet of Lana is a hand-painted cinematic puzzle adventure. Mysterious beings suddenly appear on the planet as the main character and an animal-like partner explore. The story, as detailed on the game’s official website, is “about a vibrant, beautiful planet – and the journey to keep it that way.”
Planet of Lana comes to Xbox and PC in 2022
- Sable – A short trailer of the Journey x Star Wars exploration game was played alongside a live performance from Japanese Breakfast. Sable releases September 23, 2021.
- Lost Ark – The class-based shooter from Amazon Games and Smilegate had a small preview with a look into both hoard and boss battles. The game is expected to come out fall 2021.
- Free Guy – Ryan Reynolds made a short guest appearance to advertise Free Guy, an upcoming movie where he stars as a background video game character who realizes he is in a game. Free Guy releases August 13th.
- Salt & Sacrifice – A PlayStation Indie reminiscent of Ghosts n’ Goblins with RPG elements like stats and classes. The game is set to release 2022.
- Chivalry 2 – The 64-player medieval action game released a new trailer, with the game available now.
- Two Point Campus – Imagine SIMS, but for college. Two Point Campus lets you create and simulate a college campus, from the dorm rooms, classrooms, administrative buildings, and the various student clubs.
- Solar Ash – The highly anticipated movement-based game provided a closer look at the battle and combat elements. In particular, the protagonist climbed on top of, rode, and destroyed an antagonistic giant dragon-like being.
- Valorant – The team-shooter previewed a quick – and I mean, really quick – look at a potential new playable character.
- Escape from Tarkov – The game showcased a new map called “Streets of Tarkov.”
- SMITE: Battlegrounds of the Gods – SMITE announced a Stranger Things crossover, with a battle pass arriving July 13th.
- Prime Matter – A brand new game studio announced itself at Summer Game Fest with eleven games in different genres currently in production.
- The Anacrusis – This new shooter brings combines co-op gameplay with alien hoards to create exciting multiplayer action.
- Rocket League – A crossover with Fast & Furious in the lead up to F9’s cinematic release will bring a new three car bundle to the game on June 17th.
- Blood Hunt – A multiplayer action game based on vampires who use their supernatural powers to destroy humans.
- Tales of Arise – A new gameplay and cinematic trailer shown for the newest JRPG in the Tales of Tales of Arise is set to release September 10th.
- Sky – The social adventure game is set to release on Nintendo Switch June 29th, with the Le Petit Prince season starting July 6th.
- Overwatch 2 – Baptiste and Sombra new character models were showcased.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance – The multiplayer gameplay showed a game trying to tie the mythical world of D&D and turn it into a team-based action fighter. The game comes out June 22nd.
- Paladins – The team-based shooter announced a collaboration with gen:LOCK, leading to several new skins coming July 2021.
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin – A story trailer for the JRPG take on the Monster Hunter series dropped as well as new pre-order information. The game releases July 9th.
- Wavebreak – The surf-boating game received more publicity thanks to a collaborative performance with Weezer.
- Endless Dungeon – The game received an extended gameplay, trailer, filled with depictions of alien monsters trying to capture the shipwrecked space station.
- Far Cry 6 – Not much was mentioned about the new Far Cry title, but Keighley did get to interview Giancarlo Esposito!
- Fall Guys – A new 2B-inspired costume will arrive to the Fall Guys universe soon!
- Back 4 Blood – A trailer gave a closer look at new boss in the zombie-shooter, as well as more information on the open beta dropping August 5th.
- Tunic – A demo of the Legend of Zelda-like game – if Link were a fox – is available now.
- Tribes of Midgard – The game looks to bring a balance of action, resource collecting, community building, and tower defense, all under a larger narrative arc of Norse mythology.
- Evil Dead: The Game – The extended gameplay trailer showed a bit of the human v. zombie action, as well as a playable villainous character.
- Deviation Games – A new game developer partnering with PlayStation is expected to bring new IPs to the console.
Follow TechTheLead on Google News to get the news first.