With all eyes turned to CES 2022, no one saw Sony’s surprise coming but it’s definitely the biggest one of the event.
The company just introduced the future of VR, at least on their platform, with the reveal of the PS VR2 platform and the new VR controller, PlayStation VR2 Sense. It’s an announcement as unexpected as the first one but definitely welcomed.
With a 2000 x 2040 per eye panel resolution, an 110 degrees field of view and 90Hz and 120 Hz refresh rate, the PS VR2 is one of the most powerful VR options right now. With such specs, we’d expect to see it go for a premium, definitely at least $400, though Sony didn’t reveal the PS VR2 price yet, nor the launch date.
“PS VR2 will also have a simple setup process — with a single cable connected directly to PS5, you can immediately jump into the VR experience,” says Sony to drum up hype.
It’s definitely working, especially when looking at the new PS VR2 Sense Controller and its specs!
As for the PS VR2 specs, here’s all the details you should know:
- Display method: OLED with 2000 x 2040 resolution per eye
- Panel refresh rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
- Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees
- Lens separation: Adjustable
- Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller tracking + IR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback: Vibration on headset
- Communication with PS5: USB Type-C
- Audio Input: Built-in microphone
- Audio Output: Stereo headphone jack
What can you play on the PS VR2?
As the announcement is still fresh, only one title is confirmed – but it is a MAJOR one.
Guerilla and Firesprite are working on a new Horizon title called Horizon: Call of the Mountain, which is built from the ground up with the PS VR2 in mind. Ready to explore?