Flocks of users flew to Telegram and Signal after WhatsApp announced they would share more user data with parent company Facebook. Later on, WhatsApp delayed the move, in hopes of keeping users on the platform.
However if you already deleted your account and started one at Signal or Telegram, you’ll find the switch is more than easy than ever before.
That’s because the folks at Telegram are encouraging the switch with a super easy way to import your old WhatsApp chats.
You won’t have to start from scratch with this one whether you’ve installed the iOS version of the app or the Android one.
Still with me? Good! Here’s how to import WhatsApp chats to Telegram:
- Make sure you have the latest version of Telegram installed, the 7.4.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or iPad and go to a chat you want to import to Telegram.
- Tap the name of the contact or group the chat is with and then go to Export Chat.
- You’ll see a Share menu pop up; select Telegram from there
- In Telegram, create a new chat or select an existing chat or group and then import it there.
Easy peasy, right?
Update: this article was edited to reflect the latest Telegram update which enabled the import chats feature for Android as well.