There was a lot of hype coming into this Nintendo Direct and it did not disappoint. The first half of 2022 looks incredible stacked for Nintendo as series such as Kirby, Mario, Fire Emblem, and Splatoon will all be getting releases.
Without further ado, here is everything announced in today’s Nintendo Direct:
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Much like Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem: Three Houses gets its musuo moment! Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes takes the setting, characters and story of Three Houses and adds the genre’s iconic 1 v. 100 warriors-style gameplay. Play as Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, and likely more of the Garreg Mach crew as you change the destiny of Fódlan. Although unclear, it appears that Three Hopes will be a reshaping the events of Three Houses.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes will release June 24th, 2022.
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
More information was released on the remaster of the original Advance War games! Quality of life features like voice acting, fast-forward gameplay, and resetting turns have been added. Additionally, players can create, share, and play custom maps to test out unique strategies. Finally, players will now be able to test their skills in local and online multiplayer.
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp releases April 8th, 2022.
No Man’s Sky
When No Man’s Sky, it brought with it a vast, infinite procedural generated universe where space exploration became almost real. Through subsequent updates, these almost uncountable worlds have become more inhabited by mysterious flora and fauna, all of which the player can use to craft tools and create shelter. And for the first time, Switch owners will be able to go on this outer space journey too.
No Man’s Sky release on Switch summer 2022.
Mario Strikers Battle League
Mario Strikers is baaaaaaaaaaack! That’s right, the Mario-based soccer/football gain returns on and on the Switch, looks better than ever. It seems that it will be taking elements from the previous entries on the series to make high octane soccer/football even more hectic with items, clashing, special shots, and gear customization. Locally, up to 8 players will be able to join a match and players can form online clubs with up to 20 players.
Mario Strikers Battle League launches June 10th, 2022.
More was shown for Splatoon 3, this time with a focus on a Salmon Run mode. A fan favorite mode in Splatoon 2, Salmon Run brings co-op paint splatting action as the inklings and octolings team up to overcome giant salmonids.
Splatoon 3 launches summer 2022.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
A new trailer for Kirby’s first 3D adventure Kirby and the Forgotten Land shows a whole new way Kirby powers-up. Rather than gaining enemy abilities, Kirby now inhales real world objects like cars, vending machines, and traffic cones. This new “Mouthful Mode” allows for new and unique traversal and attacking options throughout this apocalyptic world.
Additionally, as Kirby saves captured Waddle Dees, they return to Waddle Dee Town. As it grows, more resources become available like a Copy Ability Shop where Kirby can upgrade its copy abilities.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land releases March 25th, 2022.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC
Well there’s no Mario Kart 9 yet but more courses will be added to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as part of a Booster Course Pass DLC. 48 courses from previous Mario Kart games will be remastered and brought to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in 6 waves of 8 courses each. Announced courses include Coconut Mall from Mario Kart Wii, Choco Mountain from Mario Kart 64, and even Tokyo Blur from Mario Kart Tour.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC will cost $24.99 for all courses with the first wave releasing March 18th, 2022. This DLC pack is also available for no additional cost to Switch Online + Expansion Pass subscribers.
Nintendo Switch Sports
The Wii Sports franchise gets a new iteration on the Nintendo Switch with Nintendo Switch Sports. Classic games like Tennis, Bowling, and Chambara make their return, and like in the classic games, use the controller’s motion control features. New sports like soccer, badminton, and volleyball have been added, with golf set to be added in a later pack.
Nintendo Switch Sports will release April 29th. An online play test for certain games will be held between February 18th-20th.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
The final announcement of the Direct was Xenoblade Chronicles 3, the third mainline entry for the Xenoblade Chronicles series! Although little was revealed in this trailer, the presenter noted that the game ties together the future of the worlds from both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Luckily, both games are on the Switch so the whole trilogy can be played together.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will launch September 2022.
Beyond these major titles and expansions, here is everything else announced:
- Front Mission 1st: Remake brings the tactical grid-based machine RPG in summer 2022, with Front Mission 2 promised to come later.
- Portal: Companion Collection brings the puzzle escape game to the Switch after so long, with players able to play the space-defying portal game later this year.
- LIVE A LIVE will be coming to North America for the first time July 22nd and brings with it new HD-2D graphics as well as its multiple stories, protagonists, and gameplay styles.
- Disney Speedstorm is Disney/Pixar’s take on a cart-racer using its plethora of recognizable characters. Courses will be themed around the company’s franchise and each racer possesses a unique ultimate skill. The game will launch summer 2022 free-to-play.
- Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival adds another Taiko no Tatsujin game to the Switch’s catalogue with songs like Megalovania, Twice’s Feel Special, and an orchestral version of the Legend of Zelda theme. The game will also come with a paid in-game subscription with access to up to 500 songs at launch when it becomes available later this year.
- Triangle Strategy announced it will have a new playable demo that runs until the end of Chapter 3, with save data transferring to the full game when it launches March 4th, 2022.
- Cuphead – The Delicious Last Course DLC had a new trailer with a highlight on Ms. Inkwell, the new playable character who has a double jump and a roll.
- Metroid Dread will receive several free updates. The first will add a “Dread Mode” difficulty where one hit leads to death. There will also be a “Rookie Update” which gives quicker health regeneration. Finally, a second free update will come in April that adds a boss rush mode to one of 2021’s best games.
- EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings are finally receiving their long awaited return as they will be added to the Nintendo Switch Online service later today.
- STAR WARS: The Force Unleashed puts you in the shoes of Darth Vader’s secret protegee on April 20th as you travel the galaxy to defeat Jedis standing in your way.
- Assassin’s Creed The Ezio Collection will bring three Assassin’s Creed games to the Nintendo Switch February 17th.
- SD Gundam Battle Alliance has you pilot Gundams in this action RPG as well as battle alongside with friends later this year.
- Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition is a remake of a classic RPG which puts you in a parallel world where the protagonist does not exists. The game will include Radical Dreamers, a text-based adventure which outlines the origins of the game. This will all release April 7th.
- MLB The Show will be making its first appearance on the Nintendo Switch on April 5th and have cross-platform and cross-progression play.
- Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece for Cloud is a collection of every entry in the Kingdom Hearts franchise releasing tomorrow.
- KLONOA Phantasy Reverie Series takes this legendary side-scrolling adventure, with KLONOA 2 also included, to the Switch on July 8th.
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War will be available April 26th.
- GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon will launch later today.
- Demon Slayer – Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles will make its way to Switch June 10th.
- LEGO Brawls looks to bring some LEGO-based platform fighting in June 2022.
- Two Point Campus has you making your own college campus on May 17th.